Saturday 24 May 2008

Partizan 2008.

The New Buckenham club fought a moderate-sized early English Civil War battle last night. The objective was to capture and control a small village with a bridge by nightfall.
*
I was one of the two Royalist generals, and commanded the left wing. The ground wasn't really suitable for cavalry but I deployed them in the best area I could find on my flank, and forded the river to engage the Parliamentarian infantry there. For once my dice rolls weren't infallibly awful and I managed to push across the river, destroying an enemy regiment occupying the village churchyard in the process.
*
My cavalry engaged another infantry regiment lined up behind one of my shiny new hedges. Maybe I made them too well, for the initial exchange of pistol and musket fire failed to damage either party! I destroyed the regiment at the cost of two of mine, and lost the last cavalry regiment in a prolonged fight with a single élite Parliamentarian one. They bought enough time for my infantry brigade to deploy in the village, although night fell before a decisive result was obtained.
*
Tomorrow I shall be off to "Partizan," the Newark wargames show. I went for the first time last September and enjoyed it. It's a large venue, easy to reach, with a good spread of traders and games.

1 comment:

Bluebear Jeff said...

I'm looking forward to your Partizan report. Those of us living in the hinterlands of a Canadian island don't have ANY shows to go to . . . and certainly no major ones . . . so we only get to see them through the eyes and photos of gamers like you.


-- Jeff