Saturday 10 November 2007

Progress report - 1.

The first batch of figures of IR 1 Sleibnitz are on the painting board and are about halfway done. I've no connection with Dayton Painting Consortium, so take it at face value that I'm impressed with their RSM95 models. They're nicely sculpted and are quick and easy to paint. It's so much better than having to fiddle around with a lot of extraneous detail, and since the uniform colors come entirely from my imagination, I don't have to pause in order to consult painting guides either. Following my new practise I'm painting them up a dozen at a time. As soon as they're done I'll take a few pictures of them for posterity and post them here.

3 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

I not only fully agree with your thoughts on the RSM figures, but I also agree about the amount of detail.

I dislike the (to my mind anyway) overly-detailed sculpting of some of the more "modern" figures.

It is easy to add necessary detail with paint -- but hard to ignore the raised nonessentials prevalent on so many figures today.

I await your photos with anticipation.


-- Jeff

A J said...

I've had too much experience with painting the modern-style figures you describe, Jeff, and it's difficult. Leave details untouched and the figure looks absurd up close. Paint all the details and it looks too fussy.

Bluebear Jeff said...

AJ,

I agree 100%. One of the problems that our hobby suffers from is too many of us see beautiful close-ups in magazines or online of masterfully painted figures blown-up so that they are several inches high.

Sure they look great when seen that way . . . but our figures are only about an inch high and they are surrounded by a great many other figures.

Let's face it, very few of us are the prize-winning-painter who spends weeks on a single figure.

Far too often I see gamers struggle to put too many different colors on every figure . . . that just muddles it up.

If I had one piece of advice to give to someone starting out, it would be . . . "THINK about your palette of colors -- do they go together -- and how few do you really need?"

For tabletop gaming (as opposed to the display cabinet), overly-fussy painting actually hurts a figure by muddying it up too much. Simple works!


-- Jeff