Sunday, 2 December 2007

Progress report - 9.

The first half of IR 2 von Wöhl is complete and stuck to their bases. The second half is now on the painting block and undercoated. I'm lacking the two standard bearers I need for the regiment but I'll remedy that in the fullness of time. After some thought I decided not to add red piping to the facings as I think they look fine in the original pattern. Meanwhile, I decided the Liebgarde Grenadiers will be the next unit to step up to the plate, and they're now in the degreasing soak.

My thoughts have turned once again to the matter of the campaign map. I'm toying with the idea of using the Google map finder to lift an image of a suitable area from modern Germany and using my paint program to impose a hexagon pattern on it for movement, resources, etc. Has anyone else tried this method? If so, how did it go?


4 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

AJ,

Any pictures?

As to maps, I've never tried anything like that . . . but it sounds interesting. Please let us know how it works.


-- Jeff

Ed Youngstrom said...

That is exactly what is being done for the counties of Zolms:

http://zolms.wordpress.com/2007/11/08/first-map-of-the-grafschaften-of-zolms/

Other excellent maps you may want to look at are at the kriegspiel.org site:

http://www.kriegsspiel.org.uk/

Look in the map section. I am thinking of buying the Merkel map from Too Fat Lardies...

Ed v. H-F

Bluebear Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A J Matthews said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Ed. I visited your site and the map of the County looks excellent. I'm thinking in terms of getting a topographical map and superimposing the hexagonal grid onto it.

Jeff, I'll try to get some pictures soon. ;)