Thursday 28 February 2008

Hirst Arts molds - 2.


A little further explaination is required here with regard to Hirst Arts molds. They consist of silicon rubber molds designed to reproduce in molding plaster architectural components and features suitable for a wide range of building eras. The range covers everything from ancient Egyptian through mediaeval to science-fiction. The scale of the components is typically intended for 25-30mm figures, but in fact any size model can be built. Some of the excellent work displayed by modellers on the Hirst Arts forum has to be seen to be believed. I've seen pictures of a computer casing made in the style of a Warhammer 40K cathedral!
*
Shown above (with my rather inadequate web-cam) are the three molds I bought recently. All are from the Gothic range and allow me to make "stone" blocks for walling, doors, arches, roofing and floor tiles. My first set of castings suffered from a bad plaster mix (my fault - too much water and added too late) but by the second batch I was getting the hang of it. It's surprising how quickly the castings accumulate, but I've read that it's also surprising how quickly they get used up in a project.
*
Some may remember the Tower project I described in earlier posts. This is intended to be a feature on the wargames table around which the forces of Hetzenberg and the Margravate will do battle. Whilst the tower itself is finished, I need additional structures and a wall for the base on which it stands. These molds will allow me to construct the new features in the style I planned, quickly and cheaply.
*
I should point out that I have no connection with Hirst Arts other than as a satisfied customer. The molds are easy to use if the clear directions given on the company's website are followed. There's a certain satisfaction to be had in seeing the components emerge shiny fresh from the molds, and I'm looking forward to the pleasure of creating new structures with them.

3 comments:

Fitz-Badger said...

I have a number of Hirst Arts molds. I have made a few buildings, some of which can be seen in the background of some of my mini photos on the Soweiter League blog.
It's an enjoyable and satisfying additional hobby.

Bluebear Jeff said...

Looking through some of the "projects" on that website is very impressive. Thanks.


-- Jeff

MurdocK said...

kinda neat, maybe once you cast a few pieces - or as part of a project - you could share your experiences using this product?