Thursday 5 March 2009

A spot of down time.

The 2nd South Carolina opens fire upon the Irish Brigade, just out of shot to the left. In the middle distance Duryea's New York Zouaves clash with a Virginia regiment. An increasingly demoralized Union general watches in the background. Picture taken during a game at New Buckenham on January 2nd.
*
No episode today, folks. I've just completed and mailed the latest batch of forms for my visa application; that headache plus one or two other things has scuppered my day, today. Hopefully all will proceed well tomorrow.
*
The club is putting on a big ACW game tomorrow evening, and I shall be fielding most of Kershaw's brigade (McLaw's Div., Longstreet's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia). It'll be the first time the four South Carolina regiments have seen action together since I painted them all up. We'll be using Rally round the flag rules as usual, a set I particularly like as they give the right period feel to a game. The South shall rise again!

5 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

I had four ancestors in the CSA army . . . but none from South Carolina.


-- Jeff

PS, Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, Virginia

Fitz-Badger said...

I believe I had one who was a surgeon in the Union Army, from New Jersey.

Best of luck on the visa paperwork! I understand how dealing with that kind of stuff can wear you out.

A J said...

Family legend has it an ancestor emigrated to the US in the middle of the 19th century. Echoes of my own situation! It would be interesting to find out who he was and where he settled, and if he or his kin fought for their new country.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

They appear to be nice looking figures - who are they by??

A J said...

Hi Steve, the figures are Dixon's Miniatures. They are nice postures and poses. In the fullness of time I intend to get an artillery piece apiece for my Union and Confederate brigades from them to round things off.